Monday 21 July 2008

At last...Poulter lets his clubs do the talking

England's Ian Poulter feels he could have done more in the heat of the battle for the Claret Jug at The Royal Birkdale Golf Club on Sunday.Having jumped up to world number 23 after his impressive display at Royal Birkdale the Englishman will have his sights firmly set on the remaining major of the year and The Ryder Cup in September.

Having finished runner-up to Padraig Harrington - who won for the second year in a row - Poulter was left thinking what could have been despite registering his best ever finish in a major. Poulter - who represents The Woburn Golf Club - is convinced he can go one better in the future.The 36-year-old commented: "There is plenty more in me and I know I can go better. I should have finished a couple more under. I missed a good opportunity on 13 from five feet and then I go and three-putt 17, which is a little bit frustrating. Perhaps I might have pushed Paddy a little bit harder but hats off to Padraig, going back-to-back is pretty impressive."

Poulter's previous best finish was a tie for ninth at the 2006 USPGA Championship and now lies in 12th place in The Ryder Cup rankings.

No comments: